Monday, June 23, 2008

PNW Campmeeting...

WOW...my only regret for the week was that I didn't get there until Wednesday morning. The tandem of speakers were great. Dr. Mike Chapman of City Church of Chattanooga did a lights out job in the morning sessions. Please, if you are a church leader, get the series from his website. I will continue to pimp this series until I am confident that everyone has heard it, or that I am a clanging cymbal. It was life and ministry changing for me. I put into words many things that I have desired, but had no way of contextualizing. Dr. Chapman put the legs to what my heart desires. At one point Thursday morning I leaned in to my wife and said, "this is why I want to pastor."
Then in the evenings we were blessed with Chris Moody, pastor of South Cleveland COG. He gets a wrap as a "company man", but his heart is certainly in the right place. He is trying to reach the lost, and when push comes to shove, what else matters?? Man, can he preach!! It was hard to believe that he is only 35 years old. I had better start working on my shouting and spontaneous bursts into singing - I've only got 6 years to be there - hahaha!! Really, though, he was a great speaker, and wonderful man of God. I was able to not only enjoy his preaching, but had the chance to speak with him briefly several times, and he truly is a genuinely nice guy.
As far as music, like I said, I showed up late, so my view is a little small. I was able to play bass and help lead worship on Wednesday night with several other younger people. I think that at 29 I was the oldest person on the platform, but there may have been one or two older than me. It was a blast working and playing with people that were so young and energetic.
I was also able to sing harmony and play bass both Wednesday and Thursday morning. Thursday night we had a church lead worship that only recently joined the denomination. They were tremendous. They had one guy who could absolutely sing higher than any guy I have ever heard...he was ridiculously talented - as was their entire group.
So, Bishop Dority has left himself quite a standard for the years to come with this line-up, but it was a great week, and I look forward to the future.

No comments: