Thursday, December 13, 2007

Planting homework...


Yesterday I purchased two books to read to begin my preparations for planting a church in the next couple years. When I really got to thinking and looking at the amount of preparation I have to do to be ready to move out like that in the time frame I feel God is setting up...it was a little overwhelming. One book I got was from Ed Stetzer who has started numerous churches for the SBC. It it titled "Planting New Churches in a Postmodern Age". I know that I am Church of God...not baptist...but this guy really seems to know his stuff about starting successful churches that affect the community around them. the other was from Ralph Moore named "Starting a New Church". Those, coupled with some more that I am looking at by Stetzer and some John Maxwell stuff, will be all that I can handle for a little while. I am not much of a reader - so I am praying that God changes that in me as I start to jump into a whole mess of homework - oh, and did I mention that I work 40+ hours a week, and i am currently working toward a degree in engineering? Yeah, maybe it would be better if I just turned off the cable for a while. I am also looking into options of seminars or workshops to attend between now and then. I plan to make at least a couple trips to Boise in the mean time just to get a feel for the community more than I do now - not to mention picking up lunch at the Cracker Barrel while we're there. It's amazing the things that cross your mind when you dig deeper into something that you have never done or really been a part of before. I have also started a plan of action for planting the church once the time gets closer. So far it is just ideas and very general thoughts, but over the next couple months Crystal and I will be shaving it down to be more specific...I would like to have that in place at least a year before we move so that we cna pray for the things we need, as well as make any changes that God lays on our hearts. Flexibility is proving to be a key word for me with this. Start with a clean slate, and go from there. One big thing I am praying for is a team. I have people in mind that I would LOVE to take with us, but who knows if they are th least bit interested?? Our specific need is for a music leader. I am capable, but I desperately don't want to have to do the music and preach...people would get bored of looking at me all the time pretty quick - besides, there are a lot more capable people than me out there. Another need is pretty base and simple - we need workers. Crystal and I can't do everything - nor do we feel like that is the best way to do it. We are praying for a family or couple to come along with us that will work hard at growing a church...some of the nuts and bolts things as well as loving people, and reaching out into the community. As far as money goes, I'm not real concerned. My Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills - I'm sure he can afford rent and utilities for a little while.

No comments: