Thursday, December 20, 2007

Some more books...

Last night I went Christmas shopping for the last person on my list - my aunt. We wanted to get her a book to read to challenge her vision and mission - she feels called to work in Africa. There were so many books that tell you how to be a missionary, or how to 'be all that you can be', but that wasn't what we were after. I wanted something that is more than just a cookie-cutter, run-of-the-mill self help book. So, I grabbed a book by Bill Hybels, and read the back of it, and really liked it. I know a little about him, so that made me more comfortable with it also. As we looked, however, another book jumped out at me: Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus. It was exactly what I was looking to get her. It's a long story - her going to Africa that is - but it will suffice to say that she is getting close to retirement age and I have NEVER seen her more committed and passionate about anything in my life. She is having to deal with some family pressure that tells her she's too old, and some financial issue (and that's directly tied to the family junk), but she is seizing her moment without regard to what else could hold her back. At any rate, as I read the back of this book I noticed another one - one that I believe will more profoundly impact my life: The Barbarian Way, also by McManus. In a nutshell this book talks about teh difference between a Barbaric Christian and a Civilized Christian. A barbaric Christian being someone that goes after God, and the things of God without thought of the consequences. Not worried about appearances, and certainly not worried about being proper or neat in their Christianity. A civilized Christian, on the other hand, is more concerned with propriety and neatness in their walk with Christ. Worrying about others and their opinions. Concerned about what a community around them may think. Lord, I want to be a barbaric Christian that unquestioningly follows You and Your ways. Even if it means thrashing about occasionally, so-be-it if it brings me closer to you.

No comments: